I recently became interested in Aromatherapy, and I wanted to know what are some good essential oils for a beginner to buy. I want to buy maybe 5 or 10 to start with, and see how I do with them.
It depends on what you plan to use the essential oils for, but since you didn't specify whether you want them for health applications, for skin care, or simply for their natural aromatic properties, I'll suggest some oils that may fall into all three of these categories.
Please make sure that in addition to buying some essential oils, you buy one or two aromatherapy books with good safety guidelines, and that you thoroughly research the oils you want to use before you use them.
Don't forget to dilute essential oils well if you plan to do any topical applications. Remember that in almost all cases, "less is more" when you're using essential oils. When you buy essential oils, also buy at least one carrier oil, such as sweet almond oil, and use it for dilutions. Add only 1-5 drops of essential oil(s) total per ounce of carrier oil, body lotion, bath/shower gel, etc.
10 Essential Oils to Start Your Aromatherapy Collection:
- Lavender (Lavendula augustifolia)
- Geranium (Pelargonium graveolens)
- Eucalyptus (Eucalyptus globulus)
- Peppermint (Mentha piperita)
- Bergamot (Citrus bergamia), be sure to buy furo-coumarin free
- Lemon (Citrus lemon)
- Myrrh (Commiphora myrrha)
- Jasmine (Jasminum officinale)
- Roman Chamomile (Chamaemelum nobile)
- Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis)